Street Fighter IV, like many 3D fighting games, features alternate costumes for the playable characters. The game also continues the tradition of using alternate colors for these characters, allowing the player to select a color for both original and alternate costumes.
All characters in Street Fighter IV and its updates have 6 or 7 costumes with 10 colors each (plus two "stylized" versions of color 1). Costumes from the Vacation, Wild, and Horror packs have 20 colors each.
In Ultra Street Fighter IV, the five new characters (Hugo, Elena, Rolento, Poison, and Decapre) have their Alternate 1 costumes locked. The player must have save data from Street Fighter X Tekken (or an Ultra Street Fighter IVsave file that already has them unlocked) to use them.
During the summer of 2014, Capcom released a costume package for Ultra Street Fighter IV called the Vacation Costumes. These costumes were themed around clothing people would wear while on vacation.
During December 2014, Capcom released a second costume package for Ultra Street Fighter IV called the Wild Costumes. These costumes were inspired by animals.
During October 2015, Capcom released a third costume package for Ultra Street Fighter IV called the Horror Costumes. There costumes were inspired by monsters.
- Chun-Li's third alternate costume is her tracksuit from the Street Fighter Alpha series.
- Zangief's first alternate costume is Mike Haggar's outfit from Final Fight. His second alternate costume is Mech-Zangief.
- Guile's first alternate costume is Charlie's outfit from the Street Fighter Alpha series. His forth alternate costume is Doctrine Dark's outfit from the Street Fighter EX series.
- Cammy, being a clone of M. Bison, has a variation of his uniform as her second alternate costume.
- Selecting color 10 for Yun and Yang's first alternate costume will remove their restaurant uniforms.
- Ken's first alternate costume is from an early design for Rufus.