Ansatsuken (暗殺拳, "assassination fist") is a Japanese language neologism use to describe any martial art developed with the intention of murdering an opponent and does not refer to a particular fighting style. In the Street Fighter universe, the term has been used to describe the martial arts used by Akuma (or Gouki in Japan), as well as Gen's. The term Satsujinken (殺人拳, "murderous fist") is synonymous with Ansatsuken, and the two terms are used interchangeably.
Akuma's fighting style, which, according to Ryu's victory quote against Guile in the Japanese version of Capcom vs. SNK 2 and Zero's pre-battle dialogue in the Japanese version of SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos, was founded in Japan during the feudal age. The style used by Ryu and Ken, as well as their sensei Gouken, is not specifically an ansatsuken itself, but is rooted in the same martial art used by Akuma; however, his fighting style is energised by the Satsui no Hado (殺意の波動, "Surge of Murderous Intent"), a evil ki that awakens within a warrior who has embraced the dark and violent aspect of their Ansatsuken art or has an intense rage, and the three characters' fighting style is listed as a "martial art rooted as an art of assassination" (暗殺拳をルーツとした格闘術, ansatsuken o rūtsu toshita kakutō jutsu). Gouken, who only wanted to embrace the peaceful and spiritual aspect of the art, developed a sublimated variation of the same martial art style by removing the Dark Hado from its techniques before passing down his version of the art to Ryu and Ken, so no one would have to suffer with this curse.
The martial art styles used by Gen, on the other hand, are known as the assassin arts of the Mourning style (暗殺拳・喪流, (Ansatsuken Sō Ryū) and the Hateful style (暗殺拳・忌流, Ansatsuken Ki Ryū); both are personal styles which Gen developed based on his training in various Chinese kung-fu martial arts.
- ↑ "My techniques are from a martial style built during the feudal age. However, I will never use them to take the life of another!" (俺の技も戦国の世で築かれた流派。 だが、決して人を殺めるためには使わない！ }Ore no waza mo sengoku no yo de kizukareta ryuuha. Daga, keshite hito o ayameru tame ni wa tsukawanai!?)
- ↑ "That person is Gouki. He is a master of an assassination art dating back to the feudal age" (その人は豪鬼。 戦国時代から伝わる暗殺拳の使い手ね Sono hito wa Gouki. Sengoku Jidai kara tsutawaru ansatsuken no tsukaite ne?)
- ↑ Street Fighter IV: Master's Guide (in Japanese), Ryu's, Ken's, and Gouken's fighting style is referred as this on page 6, 7, and 24, ISBN 4757745133
- ↑ All About Capcom Head-to-Head Fighting Game 1987-2000, Encyclopedia entries on Gouki, Gouken and Goutetsu on page 311 ISBN 4885546761
- ↑ All About Capcom Head-to-Head Fighting Game 1987-2000, Encyclopedia entry on Gen on page 311 ISBN 4885546761
- ↑ All About Capcom Head-to-Head Fighting Game 1987-2000, Street Fighter Zero 2 instruction card on page 31 ISBN 4885546761
- ↑ All About Capcom Head-to-Head Fighting Game 1987-2000, Encyclopedia entry on Soubi Saosori Ken on page 323, ISBN 4885546761