Captain Commando (キャプテンコマンドー Kyaputen Komandō?) is a 1991 science fiction side-scrolling beat 'em up game developed and published by Capcom, originally released as an arcade game before being ported to several other platforms.
Set in the crime-ridden future of Metro City, a superhero named Captain Commando, assisted by his three faithful Commando Companions, rise up to protect the Earth from a gang of super-powered criminals.
It is the year 2026. The world is filled with crime. Captain Commando and his three faithful Commando companions rise up to erase this crime from Planet Earth and from all the Galaxy. But the futuristic criminals they have to fight are endowed with a secret, hidden, evil power. Many of them are Super Criminals, with abilities beyond that of ordinary mortals. The leader of all Super Criminals is Scumocide (known as Genocide in Japan).
The player chooses from the four members of the "Commando Team". The Commandos must fight their way through an army of genetically engineered super-criminals, traveling through a bank, a museum, and an aquarium, among other locations in the Metro City of the future. Their quest eventually leads them on an interplanetary journey to Callisto, where the evil mastermind Scumocide awaits.
Some main differences that stood out in this game at the time of its release were: the option to play with four players simultaneously, the ability to run and launch an attack (whether on the ground or an aerial one) for some distinct techniques, and mecha that the players can ride. The characters can add some variation in their combos by pressing forward during their attacks.
There are multiple pick ups in the game that award player with either health or points, one of these is a bust of Mike Haggar, former mayor of Metro City, which awards 5000 points.
The four playable characters:
- Dolg - This glam rock like giant is the boss of the first stage in the City. Was robbing the bank. Another version of him appears just prior to the fight with the final boss.
- Shturm Jr. - He is the Stage 2 Boss in the Museum, a animal-like person with orange skin and green hair. Called Shtrom Jr. in the game.
- Yamato - The boss of stage 3, the Ninja House. He has a rivalry with Ginzu and fights with many ninjas by his side. His full name is given as Yamato Mikagura in the manga.
- Monster - The boss of stage 4, Circus. He's a man transformed into a bulky monster by Dr. T. W.
- Dr. T. W. - The boss of stage 5, Seaport. After the defeat of Monster, he tries to escape on a speed boat. His full name is Dr. Tea Water.
- Druk - He is the Stage 6 boss, together with Shturm in the Aquarium. He's like Shturm Jr., but with pink skin and yellow hair.
- Shturm - He is the Stage 6 boss, along with Druk in the Aquarium. He's like Shturm Jr., but with blue skin and red hair. Could be Shturm Jr.'s father. Called Shtrom in the game.
- Blood - The boss of stage 7, Underground Base. A hulking, shirtless man whose arms appear to be stitched onto his body.
- Doppel - The boss of stage 8, Spaceship. A fat man in a green suit that imitates the player's appearance and moves. His name is derived from "Doppelgänger".
- Scumocide (Genocide in Japan) - The main antagonist, and the Level 9 boss in planet Callisto. Scumocide is the leader of the Super Criminals. He attacks with the combined powers of fire and ice.
- Wooky - A enemy with green clothes. Some of them ride robots.
- Eddy - Same as Wooky, but with purple clothes and improved attacks.
- Dick - Same as Wooky, but with blue clothes and equipped with weapons. They don't appear in the SNES version.
- Carol and Brenda - Scantily-clad females that attack with electricity. Carol has pink hair and Brenda is blond. Their full names are given as Carol Basia and Brenda Basia in the manga.
- Skip and Sonie - Thugs with knives. Skip uses a yellow jacket and Sonie a red jacket.
- Samson and Organo - Violent enemies with low intelligence. Samson has blue clothes and Organo red clothes.
- Marbin - A small, bald man that spits fire.
- Mardia - A muscular, red haired female that attacks by projecting gobs of green slime.
- Kojiro - Ninja with red clothes that attacks with punches and kickes. His name is based on Kojirō Sasaki.
- Sasuke - Ninja with green clothes that attacks with his sword. His name is based on Sasuke Sarutobi.
- Hanzo - Ninja with blue clothes that attacks with shurikens. His name is based on Hanzō Hattori.
- Musashi - A large samurai with a sword. His name is based on Musashi Miyamoto.
- Z - Silver alien-like enemy that attacks with long claws.
- Captain Commando is generally assumed to take place in the future of the Street Fighter universe due to its numerous references to Final Fight, such as being set in Metro City and Ginzu being mentioned to have been trained in Bushinryu. However, in Yuta Homura's profile on the Shadaloo Combat Research Institute states he can clear a game of Captain Commando with Mack the Knife in a single credit on the arcade, which draws this into question.
|Captain Commando Characters|
|Protagonists||Baby Head · Captain Commando · Ginzu the Ninja · Mack the Knife|
|Bosses|| Dolg · Shturm Jr. · Yamato · Monster · Dr. T. W.|
Druk · Shturm · Blood · Doppel · Scumocide
|Enemies|| Carol and Brenda · Dick · Eddy · Hanzo · Kojiro · Marbin|
Mardia · Musashi · Samson and Organo · Sasuke · Skip and Sonie · Wooky · Z