|filling out and expanding the article. Please remember to source everything added, especially as more information is released.|
Fighting EX Layer is an upcoming fighting game developed by Arika. The game, also known by its former working title Arika EX, is planned to be a spiritual successor to the company's previous fighting games, the Street Fighter EX series and Fighting Layer. A two-week beta test commenced on December 11, 2017 and will conclude on December 25, 2017. The game will ultimately be released in 2018 as a PlayStation 4 exclusive.
The gameplay retains many of the mechanics from Arika's previous fighting games, such as Super Cancels, with the addition of running and the ability to sidestep. The fights take place in closed arenas, which also vary in size and width. Additionally, it features ground chain combos from L-M-H like in Street Fighter X Tekken, an auto combo and a simplified special/super command move input function known as Progressive, while Classic function retains its original special/super command move input function.
Fighting EX Layer also introduces Gougi boost, which contains every boost properties within the existing Gougi selections, granted the players this mechanic's various boost-ups.
A gameplay video was released on April 1st 2017 (April Fools' Day) as a way to hide the game's announcement. It was later confirmed that the game was indeed in development, and an event was held where the game could be beta tested. The current build is a proof-of-concept and it doesn't have a publisher yet. An official trailer was shown at EVO 2017.
- The game appears to be the "evolution" of Fighting Sample, a 2011 project for the Nintendo 3DS by Arika that was discontinued. The only footage shown of Fighting Sample were a gameplay video of Hokuto and Kairi, a group of screenshots featuring Blair, Shadowgeist and D. Dark, and another video showcasing Nanase, Allen, Darun and Skullomania.
- ↑ http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/15/arika-ex-officially-titled-fighting-ex-layer-beta-starts-december-11/
- ↑ http://shoryuken.com/2017/03/31/its-real-check-out-arikas-livestream-of-their-new-street-fighter-exfighting-layer-based-fighter/
- ↑ https://pvplive.net/c/arika-confirms-new-fighting-game-for-20th-annivers
- ↑ Fighting Sample video 1
- ↑ Fighting Sample screenshots
- ↑ Fighting Sample video 2