|This article may or may not be a stub, but it's definitely missing something.|
Specifically: Format to match the rest of the character articles and fix any possible grammar errors.
You can help the Street Fighter Wiki by giving us what we need.
Hideo Shimazu (島津 英雄 Shimazu Hideo) is a character from the Rival Schools series of 3D fighting games.
Hideo is a person with a gentlemanly demeanor and a strong sense of justice. He leads a serious personal life; he doesn't drink alcohol and doesn't smoke. His speech and social skills need some honing, though. Now in his forties, he is looking for a wife.
Hideo is a ninth dan master of karate, as evident in his mastery of the Shimazu style of the martial art. When his father, the director of the dojo, passed away, a huge fight over the estate ensued. The quarrel eventually became full of hatred, and he was stripped of his rights to inheriting whatever his father had left behind.
Hideo first appears in Rival Schools, introduced as a Japanese language teacher who is sent along with Kyoko Minazuki to recruit students for Justice High School. The game's story has Hideo eventually brainwashed by the school's principal and forced to bring in students to the school, but is snapped out of the brainwashing by students from Taiyo High School. Hideo's story has him show concern for Kyoko and in his ending, he proposes to her.
In Project Justice, he and Kyoko, along with fellow teacher Hayato, investigate who is responsible for the new attacks on the school and eventually discover that a student at Justice, Kurow, is responsible. In the Justice High School story, he sides with Kyoko and Hayato. When "Batsu" manages to incapacitate Kyoko, Hideo teams up with Hayato to save her. It is implied that he and Hayato are having a rivalry over Kyoko. After the incident, Hideo was responsible for carrying Hyo's corpse in the burning Justice High Building. Hayato actually allows Hideo to be with Kyoko due to the latter's feelings for her, stating that he is "a lucky man". When Kyoko reminds Hideo about their marriage, he blush in embarrassment as Hayato congratulates them with tears of joy.
Hideo has his own style of karate, the Shimazu-ryuu style of karate. Despite the name of his fighting style, his moves closely resemble those of the nameless fighting style used by "Shoto" characters such as Ryu and Ken.
Special Moves Edit
- Seihaken (正波拳 Justice Wave Attack) - Basically a clone version of the Hadoken. It is larger than Batsu's Guts Bullet, and has a longer range. Because of the size of the blast, it is enough to foil most dash-type Burning Vigor attacks from the opponent.
- If done in the air, the player can fire a second blast immediately after the first one by simply pressing the punch button. The aerial version has Hideo firing the blast 45 degrees downwards. This move also has an anti-air version, the Taikuu Seihaken (対空正波拳 Anti-air Justice Wave Attack), wherein Hideo fires his Seihaken 45 degrees upwards.
- Jicchokken (実直拳 Steady Fist) - Basically a clone version of the Shoryuken; thus, it has the same drawbacks as Ryu's move--recovery time while landing.
- Raieishuu (雷鋭蹴 Thunderous Sharp Kick) - An air-only move. Hideo does a descending flying kick that sends him some distance away from his opponent. If blocked, however, the opponent has a chance to retaliate, since this move has Hideo recoiling from impact, unable to recover while landing to the ground.
- Shin'en Kyaku (真円脚 True Circling Kick) - Basically a clone version of the Tatsumaki Senpuu-kyaku. The only difference from Ryu's is that Hideo's version can be done only on the ground, and has slower spin rate. Depending on the kick button pressed for this move's button combination, Hideo may do one or three kicks.
Burning Vigor Attacks Edit
- Shimazu-ryuu Shin Jicchokken (島津流 真・実直拳 Shimazu-style True Steady Fist) - Basically a clone version of Ryu's Shin Shouryuuken. Highly damaging when used on its own, but less damaging when chained from a combo. Has the same drawback as the Jicchoken.
- Shimazu-ryuu Seihaken (島津流 正波拳 Shimazu-style Justice Wave Attack) - Basically a clone version of Ryu's Shinkuu Hadouken. A good move for stopping dash-in opponents in their tracks.
- Shimazu-ryuu Raieishuu (島津流 雷鋭蹴 Shimazu-style Thunderous Sharp Kick) - Hideo does three Raieishuu in a descending zigzag pattern. For all three kicks to connect, precise timing is required. And for the attack to score three hits, the player must do this at a high altitude (Air Combo initiated from a High Air Launcher). If done at a lower altitude, this may only do one or two kicks.
- Shimazu-ryuu Souryuu Seihaken (島津流 双龍正波拳 Shimazu-style Twin Dragon Justice Wave Attack) - The active character does three Hospital Rounds (one of Kyoko's moves) that send the opponent to Hideo, who sends the opponent into the air with a Jicchokken. Once airborne, Hideo follows suit and both characters fire a multiple-hitting Seihaken to the opponent.
- Hideo does the Purging Tempest.
Crossover appearance Edit
Hideo appeared as a card in the Heroes and Heralds mode in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
- As mentioned above, Hideo's fighting style, "Shimazu Style Karate", is very similar to the fictional nameless fighting style used by "Shoto" characters such as Ryu, Ken, Akuma and Gouken. This is referenced in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom in Batsu's winquote against Ryu, thinking that he (Ryu) is using the Shimazu Style Karate.
- Batsu eventually makes the same reference as a post-battle victory quote in Project X Zone when paired with the team of Ryu and Ken.
- Hideo wears shoulder pads that looks similiar to those of M. Bison, which he rarely takes off. He is even seen wearing them while swimming in the Japan-only visual novel mode of the game.
- Aside from karate, Hideo is also good at laundry and cooking.
- Little is known about Hideo's home life, since he lives alone at a dojo in Kyushu.
- Hideo appears as one of the instructors in the School Life Mode in Nekketsu Seisyun Nikki 2 during the Dodge and Hit mini-game. The only way to raise the character's stat is to avoid Hideo's Seihaken in both ground and mid-air and attack him with a single basic attack.
- Hideo was voiced by the late Tetsuo Mizutori.
|Rival Schools Characters|
|Rival Schools: United by Fate|| Akira · Batsu · Boman · Daigo · Edge · Gan · Hayato|
Hideo · Hinata · Hyo · Kyoko · Kyosuke · Natsu
Raizo · Roberto · Roy · Sakura · Shoma · Tiffany
|Nekketsu Seisyun Nikki 2||Nagare · Ran|
|Project Justice||Chairperson · Kurow · Momo · Yurika · Zaki|