- "The cherry blossoms are scattering"
- —Hokuto (Street Fighter EX) Hokuto (ほくと?), real name Shirase (訃, しらせ?), is a video game character from the Street Fighter EX series, first appearing in the original Street Fighter EX. She is a noble practitioner of the ancient martial art kobudō, and sibling to Kairi and Nanase.
Hokuto appears in Fighting EX Layer, a spiritual successor to the Street Fighter EX games featuring the original characters created by Arika for said games.
Her initial outfit is that of a kyudo practitioner's uniform, being a pair of navy blue hakama and white tabi, with a red lacquered muneate breastplate, over a white hakamashita like gi over a black necklong form fitting undershirt of purple hue. She wears her forelocks up with a headband, that prominently displays her forehead. Her long brown hair is let down.
Her second outfit is a pink komon kimono, with small white pink cherry blossom patterns that run around her long, wide sleeves and the borders of her kimono's opening. Over a gold yellow obi, she wears a pair of verdant green hakama and white tabi. Her brown hair is tied in a high ponytail with a green band in two long and short fringes on each side, showing her forehead.
In Street Fighter EX3, her first outfit has minor changes; the sleeves of her gi became short sleeves, her high-neck undershirt is navy blue and her hakama is dark blue. Her long brown hair is darker and was styled shoulder-length in-game.
In her Shadaloo C.R.I., her appearance is largely the same but her hakama and hair are black and she is equipped with a single brown glove on her right hand.
In Fighting EX Layer, Hokuto's hair is now black (dark brown on her character portrait), has full fringes on her head and pulled down into a low ponytail. She retains her white headband which is connected to her white hairclip.
Her kimono shirt is white, the white short sleeves with red and brown trim have holes in each sides to show her shoulders, her mundate breastplate is blue with yellow flower designs, the flower petals resembles a shape of the crescent moon and her hakama is dark blue with a white trim and has a drawing of a brown mountain at the hem and also white snowflake designs. Her outfit retains the white tabi from her original outfit. She now wears a single black segmented fingerless glove that resembles gauntlets on her right hand with red linings on her wrist and has white knuckle guards and inner part of her fingerless gloves are red. She also has a red segmented wristband on her left one.
Hokuto is shown to be a very calm, noble and mature woman. Despite this, she has quite a temper, shown when Vega started taunting her with his womanizing ways during one of their matches. Because of the sorrow of losing Kairi, Hokuto is not a very open and expressive woman, otherwise she is sensitive of other people's family problems.
During the development of the original Street Fighter EX game, she was named Kobudo Onna (which translates to "kobudo woman" or "kobudo girl"), said name being likely a placeholder.
Hokuto's use of the naginata, combined with her noble and calm demeanor, is likely a reference to the concept of the Yamato Nadeshiko noble woman.
Street Fighter EX seriesEdit
Hokuto was born to the Mizugami (水神) family, which has held a tradition in the art of Kobujutsu. Hokuto was born out of a tryst between a woman of the head Mizugami house and a man from a branch family, additionally inheriting ancestry from the main house of the Bushin clan as a result. Originally known as Shirase (訃?) during her childhood, Hokuto was entrusted to the head house at an early age, raised as Kairi's sister by the head of the family in order to conceal the tryst. After her younger sister Nanase was born, the two trained together rigorously in the martial arts and were closely bonded as sisters. Hokuto trained in the martial arts since an early age, refining them into her personal style, eventually blooming her talent to become the "seiden" (正伝) of the ancient hand-to-hand martial arts of the Mizugami.
Inevitably, fate would unfortunately come to divide her family. Being born of the tryst, the branch families of the Mizugami had held deep enmity towards their progenitor clan due to years of mistreatment and abuse. In addition to this strong feeling of hatred and resentment rooted deeply in her genealogy, growing up, Hokuto would unknowingly be influenced to develop an alter ego under her childhood name that would come to end the Mizugami. On the day Hokuto turned 17, she learned of the existence of her older brother from her foster father, who disappeared when Hokuto was still an infant. Her brother was in fact, still alive and walking the path of the Shura (修羅). Hokuto sets off to a journey to stop him, which meant that she would have to face Kairi in a life or death confrontation. Eventually, Hokuto reached the end of her journey, and was reunited with her brother Kairi.
Street Fighter EXEdit
"The cherry blossoms are scattering" She continued the fight for carnage, not knowing the true meaning of her blood-stained lineage. Will she keep fighting long enough to be reunited with her brother and mutually dye their fists red? Or else?
Street Fighter EX Plus αEdit
"Wait, and everything will eventually return to where it began." The adopted daughter who was taken in by the Mizugami family. She is fighting in the place of the father who sealed Kairi's memories.
In her Street Fighter EX3 ending, she saw a image of Kairi as she wonders if that's her brother. Hokuto suddenly falls to the floor crying, she knows that there's nothing she can do but wait for the time that she will be free from the lost memory of Kairi.
- (血の封印 Chi no Fūin?) implanted into Hokuto, turning her into an assassin whose only purpose was the erasure of Kairi's existence. Unknown to Hokuto, she had been placed under a mental suggestion to locate Kairi and kill him. To prevent this, Hokuto was implanted with the Seal of Blood by the elders of the Mizugami clan, which would be unleashed whenever Hokuto would come into contact with Kairi. However, Kairi's presence dispelled the Seal of Blood
This form, known as Bloody Hokuto (血の封印を解かれたほくと Chi no Fūin o Tokareta Hokuto?, Hokuto Awakened to the Seal of Blood) is an alternate playable version of Hokuto that appears as a hidden character in Street Fighter EX Plus, Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha, and Street Fighter EX3. Bloody Hokuto can be distinguished from her regular counterpart by the red mark on her forehead and purple uniform.
Hokuto appears as a playable downloadable character in Fighting EX Layer, the spiritual sequel to the Street Fighter EX games. Her 'Bloody' form (going by her real name, Shirase) is playable by default.
Now freed from the Mizugami clan's seal, she goes by her real name Shirase. Her final act as "Hokuto" was to seal off her younger sister Nanase's memories of the Mizugami and their conflict so that she could live as an ordinary girl.
Hokuto fights using Mizugami-ryū Kobujutsu. Naginatajutsu is one of the skills taught in kobudo, on which Hokuto's fighting style is based. Hokuto uses the naginata as part of her Meteor Combo, and is seen wielding hand fans as part of one of her Super Combos.
Hokuto's attacks usually advance towards the opponent before striking, and can duck under mid- and high-aiming attacks; one of her challenges in Trial Mode in Street Fighter EX2 Plus is to duck under a Hadoken to hit with a Shinkyaku Geki. She can also cancel these moves to fake out an opponent; her move Shin is a cancel of a lone Shinku Geki or Shinkyaku Geki. Her Kiren Eki can be charged by holding down the punch button used in command input, making it a good move for juggling opponents. Hokuto can also perform short, two-hit combos (i.e. Chugeki Hoh -> Shougekiha/Shinku Geki/Shinkyaku Geki, depending on input) and can counter attacks.
In Fighting EX Layer, Hokuto retains all of her moves from the Street Fighter EX series. Her dual fans during her Super Combo are pink with green flower and wind designs.
Throughout the EX series, Hokuto uses a variety of weapons as her naginata being her primary weapon serving as her Meteor Combo. She is rivaled with Kairi with a total of four Super Combos and two Meteor Combos.
Her first Super Combo is the Kiren'Eki as she unleashes a powerful projectile with the use of bow and arrows. Her second Super Combo is the Kyaku Hougi which Hokuto wields dual fans to attack the opponent. In Fighting EX Layer, this move is mostly used by the player during the combo. Her third Super Combo is Renshou Geki as she heavily smacks the opponent followed by an uppercut.
In Street Fighter EX3, she gains a new Super Combo called Kakusei where she is able to transform into Bloody Hokuto as both of her hands glowed while in this state which lasts the entire round. Bloody Hokuto also has gains additional moves during this state.
Her Meteor Combo is the Shirase Gatana where Hokuto wields her naginata to strike down on her opponent dealing heavy damage and her second Meteor Combo is the Renbu which works the same way as Kairi's Kyoja Renbu as both of their moves are similar to Akuma's Shun Goku Satsu.
- Kyaku - neutral throw.
- Keishukou - directional throw,
- Chuuhou - An overhead spinning elbow attack.
- Gaikyaku - Long range thrust kick. Can combo into supers.
- Chuugeki Hou - an advancing elbow attack. Range depends on strength of punch button used. Can transition into another special attack:
- Shougeki Ha - Double palm thrust. 2-hit combo.
- Shinkuu Geki - does not combo, but she transitions into her backstep thrust kick.
- Shinkyaku Geki - does not combo, but she transitions into her backstep sweep.
- Shinkuu Geki - Hokuto steps back and then advances with a thrust kick. One of her famous counter attacks. She can also feint this move.
- Shin - feint. She will spin back. Used to trick the opponent.
- Shinkyaku Geki - another counter move where she steps back and then follows up with a low kick. Forward and Heavy Kick versions will sweep the opponent and can combo with her supers.
- Shin - feint. She will spin back. Used to trick the opponent.
- Ryuusui - throw. Hokuto grabs the opponent and thrusts them forward to switch sides. Opponent momentarily has back exposed which allows Hokuto to quickly follow up with an attack.
- Gokyaku Kou - counter attack. Hokuto will perform a stance and if opponent tries to connect with a high attack she will quickly perform a counter attack.
Hokuto is not a huge combo character without meter. Her gameplay style is more focused around smart counter attacks.
Basic Special Combos: most of her combo enders involve her Chuugeki Hou > Shougeki Ha special attack. Ryuusui is used to start a combo with cr.LK and then Chuugeki Hou or Super.
- j.HP, cr.MK x Chuugeki Hou > Shougeki Ha
- cr.MK or MP > Chuugeki Hou > Shougeki Ha
- Ryuusui > cr.LK x Chuugeki Hou > Shougeki Ha
Basic Super Combos: some of Hokuto's normal attacks and her unique attacks (aside from her overhead) will combo into Super.
- Gaikyaku x Kyaku Hougi or Kiren'Eki
- Chuugeki Hou x Kyaku Hougi or Kiren'Eki
- Ryuusui > cr.LK x Kyaku Hougi or Kiren'Eki
- Shinkuu Geki x Kyaku Hougi or Kiren'Eki
- Shinkyaku Geki x Kyaku Hougi or Kiren'Eki
- Her secret alternate costume of her "bloody" form in the console version of the first EX game, bears strong resemblance to that of early PC-98 designs of Reimu Hakurei, from the Touhou Project series.
- Hokuto has the skill in using some weapons; naginata practicing kobudo, bow and arrows as seen in her Kiren'Eki Super Combo and using tessen accompanied by her ability to control the winds.
- Hokuto's ending in the first Street Fighter EX shows her defeating five warriors, maybe ninjas, during an attack at her. These warriors, wearing a green body suit and a demon like mask, look similar in appearance to Tekken fighter Kunimitsu as she appears in the original Tekken game.
- Hokuto's design bears a strong resemblance to SNK's Kasumi Todoh from the Art of Fighting and The King of Fighters series of 2D fighting games.
- Like Ryu, Hokuto's hair darkens over time in every game she appears in. Her hair is brown in Street Fighter EX through EX2, dark brown in Street Fighter EX3 and black in both her Shadaloo C.R.I. and her recent appearance in Fighting EX Layer
- Hokuto's moves in Street Fighter EX plus α
- Hokuto's moves in Street Fighter EX2 Plus
- Hokuto's moves in Street Fighter EX3
|Street Fighter EX Characters|
|EX||Original|| Akuma · Allen · Blair · Chun-Li · C. Jack · Darun · D. Dark · Guile|
Hokuto · Kairi · Ken · Pullum · Ryu · Skullomania · Zangief
|Plus||Bloody Hokuto · Cycloid-β · Cycloid-γ · Evil Ryu · Garuda · M. Bison|
|Plus α||Dhalsim · Sakura|
|EX2||Original||Blanka · Hayate · Nanase · Shadowgeist · Sharon · Vega|
|Plus||Area · Sagat · V. Rosso|
|EX3||Ace · Bison II|
|CPU Only||Shin-Bison · Cycloids · Zako|
|Fighting Layer Characters|
|Fighting Layer||Allen · Blair|
|Fighting EX Layer||Original||Darun · D. Dark · Garuda · Hayate · Jack · Kairi|
Sanane · Shadowgeist · Shirase · Skullomania
|Downloadable||Area · Hokuto · Pullum · Sharon · V. Rosso|