Juli (ユーリ Yūri?), real name Julia (ジュリア Juria?), is a video game character from the Street Fighter series, first appearing in Street Fighter Alpha 3. Along with her partner Juni, she is a brainwashed female assassin belonging to M. Bison's elite guard, the Dolls.
Juli is similar in her build to Cammy, albeit with a rather more busty figure. Her hair is styled into a bun at the back, with long, thick bangs at the front. Her eyes are brown in Street Fighter Alpha 3 but changed to blue in Street Fighter V. She wears the Shadaloo Doll uniform, like Juni: a tight navy blue thong leotard with an open back, a small yellow tie attached to the front, a navy blue cap, navy blue tights, red gauntlets and black boots. On her left arm she wears a brown armband.
Julia is a descendant from the Thunderfoot tribe that was captured by Shadaloo and brainwashed to be M. Bison's assassins and bodyguards. They were completely loyal to Bison and acted and talked like robots and they were high-ranking members in Shadaloo, only lower than Bison and the other Grand Masters: Balrog, Vega and (now former member) Sagat. As Juli, she is the second oldest member of the Dolls, being often consulted for advice by the other members. She is the most rational of the Dolls, but sometimes she appears to be ruthless, possibly due to having her memory erased several times. T. Hawk, a member of the Thunderfoot tribe, vowed to find Juli.
In the arcade version of Street Fighter Alpha 3, Juli and Juni are a pair of sub-bosses whom the player face prior to the final battle against M. Bison. The player faces Juli and Juni at the same time in a two-on-one fight similar to the Dramatic Battle mode in the original Street Fighter Alpha. The two characters are unlockable in the arcade version, but they have no storyline in the actual game.
From a design perspective, the characters are actually head-swaps of Cammy (who previously appeared in Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold and X-Men vs. Street Fighter), with the explanation given that Cammy belongs to the same unit as Juli and Juni. However, the characters have their own special and super techniques. They are the only members of Bison's Elite Guard (aside from Cammy and Decapre) to appear as playable characters in-game.
Eventually, one of the Dolls (Cammy) broke free from Bison's mind control (apparently with help from Dhalsim) and Juli was assigned to track her down and eliminate her. Cammy resisted and defeated both Juli and Juni.
When Alpha 3 was ported to home consoles, the designers made Juli and Juni part of the default roster and gave both characters their individual storylines and endings, with Juli assigned to track down Cammy and Juni assigned to track down Ryu.
After the apparent fall of Shadaloo, Seth uncovered a plan to have the Dolls assassinate him and sent Juri to the Sosna Research Facility, an old Shadaloo mountain base, to capture them instead. After all the other Dolls are defeated, only Juli and Juni are left and stand to face Juri. However Juri overwhelms them and, after knocking both unconscious, loads them onto a plane to take back to S.I.N. HQ. Cammy and Guile attempt to prevent this but are only successful in rescuing Juni; Juli is taken with the rest of the Dolls to Seth's Secret Laboratory where he plans to experiment on them until they expire.
In T. Hawk's ending, Rose tells Hawk that Juli has been saved from Shadaloo but is now a shell of her former self. She advises against visiting, but says she will tell Hawk where Julia is if he insists. Following Rose's directions, Hawk finds Juli in a near-catatonic state in a cabin in the wilderness, being cared for by an elderly couple. As Hawk draws near, Julia shows no sign of recognition and continues to stare into space. A raindrop falls onto the window and drops beneath her eye, possibly symbolizing a tear.
With Juli's reappearance as a Doll in Street Fighter V, this ending appears to be non-canonical.
In Street Fighter V during the events of A Shadow Falls, Juli and the other Dolls have been revealed to be re-calibrated by F.A.N.G to set his plan for Operation C.H.A.I.N.S. Juli, like the other Dolls, is under the influence of Psycho Power, facing off the fighters who are making their final infiltration of Shadaloo and its main base. Juli fights off Cammy, but is defeated before Cammy is, in turn, beaten down by Vega. When Vega leaves due to Juri and Decapre's intrusions, she and other Dolls confront both Cammy and Decapre until they are free from the Psycho Power influence due to Rashid destroying the device handed by F.A.N.G during their confrontation.
- Juli and Juni appears in the crossover game Namco x Capcom released only in Japan. At one point in this game, Juli almost regains her memory by saying, "I am... Juli... a... ? Hawk..." right before her demise, due to the full effect of her mind control.
- Both Juli and Juni made a cameo appearance in M. Bison's ending for SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos.
- Both Juli and Juni appear as character cards in SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighters Clash.
- Juli appears in a billboard, along with Juni, Cammy and Enero (dressed as stewardess) in a background stage for Street Fighter X Tekken. Tekken character Christie Monteiro also has Juli's outfit as her Swap Costume.
In UDON's Street Fighter II comics, Juli is still sought after by T. Hawk, along with Noembelu. Here, she is the daughter of a German doctor who provided care for the Thunderfoot Tribe. The doctor was found murdered, and Juli disappeared.
In Street Fighter II Turbo #12, it shows that Juli is freed of her mind control, and sets out to restore the Thunderfoot village, along with T. Hawk and Noembelu.
Juli shares many of Cammy's moves, including her supers. One of the attacks that separates her from Cammy and the other dolls is her Sniping Arrow, a kick attack that launches her horizontally across the screen. She keeps this move during her fight against Cammy during the A Shadow Falls fightscene.
- The designers of the home versions of Street Fighter Alpha 3 originally intended for Noembelu, a non-playable member of the Dolls, to be the girl that T. Hawk searches for, but Juli was used for this role instead.
- Juli's hairstyle is very similar to that of Street Fighter EX character Blair Dame.
- Juli is one of the eleven playable Street Fighter characters who are in a romantic relationship or are married.
- In her appearance in SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos, her name was mispelled as Juri, not to be confused with a character later introduced in the series also named Juri.
- Juli, along with Juni and some other Dolls, can be seen in capsules in the background of Decapre's USFIV promotional art. They also briefly appear in her prologue.
- Her name is German for July.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Street Fighter V Character Encyclopedia: Juni
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Street Fighter: World Warrior Encyclopedia Hardcover
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NovM20o7Cg
|Street Fighter Alpha Characters|
|Alpha|| Adon · Akuma · Birdie · Charlie · Chun-Li · Dan · Guy|
Ken · M. Bison · Rose · Ryu · Sagat · Sodom
|Alpha 2||Original||Dhalsim · Evil Ryu · Gen · Rolento · Sakura · Zangief|
|Alpha 3||Original||Balrog · Blanka · Cody · E. Honda · Juli · Juni · Karin · R. Mika · Vega|
|Console||Dee Jay · Fei Long · Guile · T. Hawk|
|Upper||Eagle · Maki · Yun|
|Street Fighter V Characters|
|Core Roster|| Birdie · Cammy · Chun-Li · Dhalsim · F.A.N.G · Karin · Ken · Laura|
M. Bison · Nash · Necalli · R. Mika · Rashid · Ryu · Vega · Zangief
|Season 1||Alex · Balrog · Guile · Ibuki · Juri · Urien|
|Season 2||Abigail · Akuma · Ed · Kolin|
|CPU Only|| AS · Aprile · Decapre · Enero · Février · Juli · März|
Peter · Phantom Bison · Santamu · Satsuki