Karin, as she appears in Street Fighter Alpha 3.
|Height||5' 4" (162 cm)|
|Weight||107 lbs (48 kg)|
|Hair color||Blonde (styled into European-Victorian ringlet curls)|
|Fighting style||Kanzuki-ryū kakutōjutsu|
|Dislikes||Sakura (most likely), Minds of commoners|
|Rival(s)||Sakura, Blanka (SFA3), R. Mika (SFA3), Guy (SFA3)|
|Hobbies||Various Kanzukiryu secret techniques based on Chinese Kenpo.|
|Moveset||Guren Ken, Mujin Kyaku, Ressen Chou, Ressen Ha, Yasha Gaeshi|
|First game||Street Fighter Alpha 3|
Karin Kanzuki (神月かりん, Kanzuki Karin) is a video game character from the Street Fighter fighting game series. She was originally a character from the 1996 Street Fighter manga Sakura Ganbaru! authored by Masaomi Nakahira. Her character would be integrated into the video game series in Street Fighter Alpha 3, where she appears as a playable character.
As a self-styled rival of Sakura, Karin naturally has a similar outfit, complete with sailor fuku; hers is predominantly red and white with a blue bola tie. However, she uses the martial art style Kanzuki-ryū kakutōjutsu, a style she created herself, instead of the "original" style Sakura uses. Her hair is styled into long, over-sized ringlets in a Victorian Europe-era fashion, and she occasionally wears a blue bow in the back. She also unusually wears her underwear on the outside of her leggings.
Karin's laugh and mannerisms are derived from the "ojou" stereotypes common in anime and manga; while she commonly remains snobbish and haughty as the "ojou" stereotype, other aspects of her personality can vary wildly in other media. In Namco X Capcom, Karin is calmer, more level-headed and cynical, and serves as the voice of reason for the impulsive Sakura. In the UDON comics, on the other hand, she is extremely hateful and competitive the point of obsessiveness, making her much more of an antagonist.
Karin usually refers to other people as "commoners", or inferiors. She lives by her motto more than the rest of her family, as she takes majority control of her father's company from under his nose in a hostile takeover (ironic, since he was the one to drive that philosophy into her).
After Karin finds and eventually defeats Sakura in a rematch, she feels that she won only "by chance" and finally admits that Sakura is actually the best of them. Karin then decides to step a little out of her family's motto of "always winning", and starts to praise the fighting itself as more importantly than victory or defeat, showing a bit of humility.
Karin is the daughter of Daikenjuro and Nadeshiko Kanzuki; their butler is Ishizaki, and Shibazaki is the family steward. The wealthy Kanzuki family's mottos are "All you need is victory" (also interpreted as "Be the winner in everything") and, alternately, "The worst we'll ever be is the best". Her family's private estate covers 200 acres of land, and not only has its own geographical features, but its own climate.
Karin considers herself a rival of Sakura, who defeated her when challenged.
The Kanzuki corporation is threatened by Shadaloo, which makes demands of the dynasty. She uses the family fortune in an attempt to track down Shadaloo, as well as confronting a roving Sakura to challenge her again. Along the way, she encounters Blanka and defeats him in a friendly match, musing that "the world is so vast" for such a beast to exist. She also encounters R. Mika and battles her, and is so impressed by Mika's ability that she offers the wrestler her sponsorship. Karin eventually finds and defeats Sakura, but realizes the victory was a fluke, and that the fight itself is more important, not winning or losing (as Ken Masters told her this previously).
Comics and MangaEdit
Karin appeared in UDON's Street Fighter Legends: Sakura comic.
Karin may have been intended to appear in Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter; a sprite of her with Sakura's outfit (with boots instead of sneakers, as shown below) exists somewhere in the ROM data, near Dan's sprites.
Karin also appeared in Capcom Fighting Evolution as a playable character.
Karin appeared in Match of the Millennium as the Capcom guide character for the game's Olympic Mode.
- Emilie "Lili" de Rochefort from the Tekken series is often compared to Karin, since the former bears many similarities to her.
- Karin and Lili both have schoolgirls (Sakura and Asuka Kazama respectively) for rivals, and declared them rivals so after they were defeated by them; Karin was defeated by Sakura after a challenge, while Lili was defeated by Asuka at the fifth King of the Iron Fist Tournament.
- Each developed their own fighting styles, and enjoy the prospect of victory.
- Both are somewhat selfish and stuck-up rich girls who come from wealthy families with companies/businesses being threatened in their main storylines.
- Their butlers are present during their winning poses; Karin is shown with her butler, Ishizaki, while Lili asks her butler Sebastian if he can find a better person to fight than the person she defeated.
- Karin also has a similar personality and backgroun to Nanami Kiryuu from Revolutionary Girl Utena. Karin's laugh is also similar to Nanami's.
Stage ThemeEditStreet Fighter Alpha 3 - Karin's Stage Theme(03:00)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%A5%9E%E6%9C%88%E3%81%8B%E3%82%8A%E3%82%93]
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIKKl1eH0FM
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anJOQs5_-vo
|Street Fighter Alpha Characters|
|Adon – Akuma (Shin) – Balrog – Birdie – Blanka – Cammy – Charlie – Chun-Li – Cody – Dan – Dee Jay – Dhalsim – E. Honda – Eagle – Evil Ryu – Fei Long – Gen – Guile – Guy – Ingrid – Juli – Juni – Karin – Ken – M. Bison (Final) – Maki – R. Mika – Rolento – Rose – Ryu – Sagat – Sakura – Sodom – T. Hawk – Vega – Zangief|