This is a list of quotes used by Ryu.
Street Fighter II series Edit
- "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
- "You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance!"
- "You did quite well, but you need more training to defeat me!"
- "To live is to fight, to fight is to live!"
- "There's nothing like a fair fight. It improves both competitors."
- "You must love competition before you can achieve victory."
- "Don't fight for victory--fight to improve yourself. Victory will come."
- "Learn to fight, not to flail."
- "Get up. Let's go again..."
- "I never lose."
- "Aren't you used to losing by now... ?"
- "I'm sure you'll do better once you learn how to fight."
Street Fighter Alpha series Edit
- "I look forward to our next battle."
- "You fought well. I was honored."
- "Now I will find a better challenge!"
- "What's wrong? Why do you hold back?"
Win Quotes Edit
- "True victory is to give all of yourself, without regret."
- "Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!"
- "Your strength is equal to that of your will to win!"
- "One fight. One more step on the path to becoming a true warrior!"
- "The only way a true fighter can suffer, is by not fighting!"
- "I see a strong will to fight in your eyes! Don't give up yet!"
- "Sometimes the most important battle, is the battle within..."
Rose: "Ryu... You are not strong enough to win the battle with that man. Or should I say, you COULD win, but at the cost of your soul..."
Ryu: "...?! Who are you? And who is "that man?" Fight me now... And defeat me, if you can!"
Ken: "Ryu... It's time! Fight me! Now you will finally see that I am the strongest! Not you!"
Ryu: "Ken? What's wrong? Your eyes... What's happened to you?!"
Ken: "Shut up!! Don't assume that I'm what I once was! We fight!!!"
Ken is lying on the floor. M. Bison throws him out of the screen.
(Talking to Bison now)
Ryu: "?! Who... are... you?!"
Bison: "Huh ha ha ha ha ha! You're as strong as I had hoped, Ryu! Ken was too afraid that you'll be a master, and that he won't. I gave him great power, but only at the cost of his mind."
Bison: "Now it's your turn! Prepare to be seduced by my Psycho Power! I will reveal your dark nature!"
SNK vs. Capcom series Edit
- "Nothing like a fair fight. It improves both competitors."
- "My path is long..."
- "You can't be finished. Stand up, you simp!"
- "Those prissy punches affect me not, fool!"
Win Quotes (character-specific)Edit
- "Ken, you have been working hard, I gather. That was some battle."
- "Ken...! What's happened to you?"
Street Fighter IV series Edit
- "The answer lies in the heart of battle."
Personal Action Edit
- "Get serious..."
- "Come on!"
- "You can do better than that!"
- "Gimme a reason to fight!"
- "Disgrace to your art..."
- "Well let's get going."
- "We're just getting started!"
- "Talk is cheap."
- "I walk the path of the true warrior!"
Sagat: "I was waiting for an opponent like you."
Ryu: "You're early."
Ken: "Well, you know me." *holds his fist out*
Ryu: *smiles and bumps Ken's fist*
Ken: "Let's go!"
- (Ryu reading a letter from Ken)*
Ken: "I got your letter. Looking forward to having a showdown with you at the tournament! -Ken"
Guile: "They're holding a tournament to draw in the world's strongest fighters?"
C. Viper: "If they get their hands on his data, BLECE is as good as complete. How many years have we waited for this chance?"
- (Ryu throws a Hadoken at the waterfall)*
Ryu: Still no use. Return it all to nothingness... Master...
Seth: "Bison... This will not... go... the way you... planned..."
- (Seth dissolves and the machine lights up)*
Ryu: "No... the Satsui no Hado... It's consuming me!"
- (Ryu throws a Metsu Hadoken at the machine)*
Round Win Edit
- "I must take a break for now."
- "This time, victory is mine."
- English Voice: "I still don't have what it takes. I must train harder."
- English Voice: "Can you stand up after that?"
- Japanese Voice: "The path of a true warrior is long indeed."
- Japanese Voice: "Power alone will never defeat me."
Versus Mode Edit
- "That look in your eyes... Never forget the fighting spirit you feel now."
- "I'm ready for a rematch should we cross paths again."
- "I've a better understanding now of what it means to be a true warrior..."
- "A clenched fist speaks louder than a hundred words."
- "What a fight! You have my gratitude."
- "You must defeat my Shoryuken to stand a chance!"
- "I walk my own path, regardless of what direction other men take."
- "This is the power of Hado! The spirit channeled through the fist!"
- "Don´t forget the training you´ve had until now! Get up and fight again!"
- "Shoes? No, I can't certainly afford them. I go barefoot for comfort."
- "These two fists are everything to me!"
- "If you have a goal, you must seek it out!! Never give up!"
- "Your power is worthy of praise, boxer! You need only to fight from the heart!"
- "Though you do no speak, your fists tell a tale of their own."
- "Your technique is solid. All that remains for you is to grow a spirit!"
- "Your kicks are so impressive! No matter how many times we fight, I remain in awe."
- "Settle down and start a family? I have much to do before I can consider that..."
- "Close but no cigar, friend. Surely you realize what your technique lacks!"
- "There is compassion in the way you fight. You have earned my respect."
- "You must put your strength to use. Simply showing it off is not enough."
- "I don´t know much about cooking, but your movement and strength impress!"
- "Your technique reminds me of someone I once saw..."
- "Such incredible power! There is no mistaking it, Master, you have returned!"
- "I feel neither anger or sadness in your fists. You have grown stronger!"
- "Amazing, Ken. Each time I fight you, I feel something new and different..."
- "I can never let power such as yours fulfill such dark ambitions!"
- "You claim to see my future yet it is I who will forge that future myself!"
- "You have an interesting technique... Too flashy to be effective though."
- "Any true fight is actually a fight against oneself."
- "You haven't lost it, Sagat! Let's fight again another day!"
- "I´m certain we´ll meet again as long as you continue on the warriors´ path!"
- "Your failure stems from your obsession with power..."
- "You self-love is not justified! One day, you´ll face men stronger than me!"
- "You brag too much about your strength! This will always be your weakness!"
Ryu: "Another international fighting tournament... And it looks like S.I.N. is behind this one. Can't shake the feeling that something sinister is happening behind the scenes. Hm... This all feels so familiar. I must be on my guard. Fighting always feels familiar to me. Like coming home. Probably because I've been doing it since I was a child. The fight is a form of communication. It can lead to understanding. It holds a meaning deeper than mere words. Looks like I'll be sparring with a lot of fighters this time. And I expect I'll meet some old friends again, as well. Interacting with these fighters will guide me further down the path of becoming the ultimate warrior!"
Ryu: "This place hasn't changed. In my travels, I fought many formidable opponents. I'm curious. Have I become stronger thanks to them? Hadoken!"
- (Ryu throws a Hadoken going through the waterfall and into the sky)*
Ryu: "Till next time."
- "My journey to become the ultimate fighter has only just begun."
- "Each time I fight, I learn something new. This journey has been fruitful."
- "Even if my fists were to turn to dust, I would not give up in my quest!"
- "The more I learn, the more I realize how far I am from the end of my journey."
- "The power I am after is the power to win - not the power to destroy!"
- "You must defeat my Shoryuken to stand a chance!"
- "No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
- "If you go into the ring expecting to fail, you will. Believe in yourself!"
- "Power alone is no guarantee of victory. Keep your eyes on your opponent!"
- "Give it your all!"
- "These two fists are everything to me!"
- "The answers you seek will come to you during your journey, my friend."
- "I will never become like you! I will forge a new path!"
- "Hatred and lust for power are no match for a true warrior!"
- "It's hard to believe that your moves were all self taught! Well done!"
- "What you lack in power, you make up for in speed. Use that to your advantage!"
- "You cannot run from who you are. The fight won't provide the solace you seek."
- "Your devices make for interesting moves, but they are easily avoided."
- "Your stance could use some work. Care to give it another shot?"
- "Your carefree attitude blinds you to the true importance of the fight!"
- "I never tire of watching you in action. Your moves are inspiring."
- "I am grateful, for you have shown me the grace inherent in the art of boxing."
- "You honor tradition with your moves. Still, you could stand to improve."
- "I have no likes or dislikes when it comes to food. I'll eat anything."
- "There is an artistic quality to your moves. You are a true master!"
- "You may be strong, but you lack the drive for self-improvement."
- "Thank you, Master!"
- "You seem sad. Have you been eating the fermented beans I gave you?"
- "I look forward to seeing what other moves you have in store next time!"
- "You're speedy, but you have to keep an eye on your opponent if you want to win!"
- "You and I have vastly different ideas about what constitutes fun."
- "That was fun, Ken! Let's spar again soon!"
- "Using power to control others is an unforgivable offense!"
- "You're still wet behind the ears, but I sense great potential within you."
- "We have different philosophies on how to acquire power. This much I know."
- "I cannot see the future nor the outcome of my battle. That is why I fight!"
- "We both have a long way to go until our true potential is reached."
- "Just relax and focus. That allows you to read your opponent's moves and react."
- "Power is more than just the strength in one's moves. Never forget that!"
- "There exists no obstacle that cannot be overcome. Experience has taught me this."
- "Try keeping your mind off your looks and you may be able to dodge my attacks!"
- "Only by finding yourself can you truly live. Remember this."
- "You lack the power, but possess great speed. You'll be a mighty warrior soon!"
- "Still unable to cope with my Hadoken, I see."
- "Strange...You don't hesitate, yet I can see you trembling."
- "Listen to the sound of the wind', eh? I think I know what you mean by that."
- "You need strength to win. But there is no point to strength alone."
- "I don't know how you can fight wearing those shoes."
- "Your nation will no doubt be full of strong citizens."
Win quotes Edit
[p] = the name of the character's partner.
[o] = the name of the primary opponent.
Even after a thousand battles, I'm still far from being the perfect fighter.
I'm still not good enough...I need to keep improving!
Fear not, [o], I won't forget the battle we fought here today.
Get up and fight me again! You still have some fight left in you! I can see it!
Where one goes isn't important. What matters is following your own path!
With [p] covering me, we'll show everyone our true power!
If you keep repeating your mistakes, you will not get anywhere.
That was the first time I've ever seen that kind of attack! This world always has something to surprise me.
Win Quotes (character-specific) Edit
VS Alex: Accept this fight for what it was. The important thing is that you have no regrets.
VS Batsu: Getting ahead doesn't come by charging in headfirst. Focus your thoughts, then attack!
VS Casshan: Half a step can be the difference between victory and defeat. Today, victory is mine.
VS Chun-Li: As always, your technique is stunning. I'm glad you're continuing your training.
VS Doronjo: A real warrior fights on equal ground, not by outnumbering their opponent.
VS Frank West: You've taught me a valuable lesson. I've met hundreds of the world's best fighters, but this is the first time I've met one that's a cameraman!
VS Ippatsuman: You've got quite the nice punch. I'm sure we'll battle again soon enough.
VS Joe the Condor: Your punches blur past with rage. But you cannot extinguish my flame with such a punch!
VS Jun the Swan: Why do you attack from a distance? I don't mask my intentions, so come at me head on!
VS Kaijin no Soki: Your blade is as sharp as my fist is strong. We are true equals in power!
VS Karas: I'm in no rush for this fight to end. If we continue, I believe we'll find our answers.
VS Ken the Eagle: As I expected, the famed Ken the Eagle's attacks are relentless and powerful.
VS MegaMan Volnutt: If you give up now, then you're finished. Could you be satisfied with yourself then?
VS Morrigan: Whenever I feel that my soul cannot be shaken, someone like you appears to prove me wrong.
VS Polimar: Even the most violent of maelstroms weaken. Thankfully, it was worth it to be patient.
VS PTX-40A: My fists have been honed to perfection. Your shattered steel plates are proof of this!
VS Roll: No need to lose heart. You too are a great fighter.
VS Ryu: I can't let my guard down against an opponent who knows me inside and out!
VS Saki: I hope this fight has reminded you what you are fighting for. Thank me by returning to your own path!
VS Tekkaman: You can have a rematch any time. What, in space? I'd be honored to!
VS Tekkaman Blade: Your strength... I sense an unrelenting weight bearing down on you.
VS Viewtiful Joe: You won't defeat me with those weak punches, even if you hit me ten thousand times!
VS Yatterman-1: Now that we know each other's true power, we can start fighting for real!
VS Yatterman-2: I like how you try every attack you know. You'll become a better fighter once you get more fights under your belt.
VS Zero: If I had let up for just one second, I would have lost... My journey to be the greatest warrior is still not complete...
- "Come on... FIGHT!"
- "Show me your strength."
- "Nice form. Now, let's go!"
- "Spiders... I hate spiders...."
- "Interesting... you fight like a wild animal!"
- "Master of the Iron Fist? Show me!"
- "That was a good fight."
- "Is that all you got?"
- "Your stance is weak!"
- "A good wind..."
- "I feel at peace now."
- "Your kicks still need practice."
- "So..that was K'un-Lun's power..."
- "When you lost control, you lost the fight." (against Wolverine)
- "Huh...I guess that wasn't so scary." (against Spider-Man)
- "I knew your teaching were false!" (against Akuma)
- "As long as I'm standing, I can still fight!"
- "Defeating the world's best is no longer enough! I have a new world to challenge!"
- "I must find a more worthy opponent..."
- "I still have a long journey before I am a true warrior..."
- "That's the first time I've seen an attack like that! I must train harder..."
- "Your last attack was off by a second. And a second is a lifetime in battle."
- "It was my pleasure to meet a warrior who fights with honor. I hope that our paths will cross again."
- "Space... If that is where my path takes me next, then I must follow."
- "And I thought facing someone with one claw was bad enough. You really put me to the test. Thank you."
- "This is the path of destiny!"
- "Let's go!"
Narrator: "The news of Pandora has reached Ryu, thanks to Chun-Li, as she tracks Shadaloo's movements. The reports of ordinary people displaying unimaginable power due to the influence of the box has Ryu worried."
Ryu: "The box seems to have a power over people. It creeps in, and makes them lose all sense of self. Is it possible that Pandora's Box is connected to the Satsui no Hado...?"
Narrator: "Ryu sets his sights on the Antarctic to discover the true nature of the box. Ken, worried about his friend, decides to accompany him."
Ken: "Guess there's no reasoning with you on this one, huh? Okay. I suppose I might tag along for the ride."
Ryu: "Thanks Ken. I have a feeling I'm gonna need your help."
Rival Cutscene Edit
Ken: "Woah, what are the chances, huh?"
Kazuya: "Apparently you haven't learned to stay out of my way."
Ken: "Come on, why do you have to be such a pain? So... what do you think we should do about these two? Maybe we..."
Ryu: "Hmm? You say something, Ken?"
Ken: "No. Nothing, nevermind..."
Rival Quotes (Kazuya): Edit
- Ryu (match start): "You look like a worthy opponent."
- Ryu (landing the first attack): "Fight me!"
- Ryu (if KO with a Super Art): "Looks like you can't overcome the Satsui no Hado."
Sub Bosses Quotes (Jin) Edit
- Ryu (match start): "I feel an ominous presence."
- Ryu (after KO): "You were consumed by your own power."
- Ryu (landing the first attack): "Let's fight!"
- Ryu (KO with a Super Art): "You are nothing to me!"
Boss Quotes (Ogre): Edit
- Ryu (match start): "I sense a power I never felt like before."
- Ryu (first attack): "That's an Alien?!"
- Ryu: "You sure are tough."
- Ryu: (after KO): "I've fought such power."
Narrator: "One day, the mysterious box had come from outer space suddenly disappeared. Along with it, a certain well-renowned fighter also dropped off the face of the earth. It was said that the power of Pandora was an evil magic that could corrupt even those with the most benevolent intentions of trying to save the world."
Narrator: "Did the man who was once tempted by the Satsui no Hado fall victim to its power? Or, did he sacrifice himself to rid the power of Pandora? The answer disappeared along with the box. With the exception of the fighter's disappearance, everything returned to normal. The current whereabouts of the world warrior is still a mystery..."
Narrator: "...At least, for now."
- "After this battle is over, I can continue my journey."
- "Feels good to fight side-by-side again, right?" (when paired with Ken)
- "Get serious!"
- "So much power...!"
- "Losing...strength..." *sacrificed*
- "Can you stand up after that?"
- "Power alone will never defeat me."
- "I still don't have what it takes. I must train harder." (Final round win)
- "Now I'm getting the hang of things!" (Comment 1)
- "As long as there's still fight in your fists, I'll take you on as many times as you like!" (Comment 2)
- "These two fists are everything to me!" (Comment 3)
Win Quotes (character-specific)Edit
- "Throws and hard-hitting blows are a dangerous combo...but your fundamentals need work."
- "You and I travel down different paths! I will fight you, but on my own terms!"
- "You should fight not for fame or fortune, but to better yourself!"
- "So this is the power of the wilderness... You've definitely evolved beyond my expectations."
- "Your kicks certainly do sting! I'd better be careful next time!"
- "Your movements are as polished as ever! I'd better train hard to keep up!"
- "Instead of running away, face your problems head on. I'm sure you will get back on the right track."
- "So this is the potential of Yoga... Maybe I should take a training trip to India."
- "Such elegant punches! So nice to finally meet a boxing champion!"
- "I'm almost sure I've heard your voice somewhere before...this isn't our first time meeting?"
- "Your moves are as sharp as ever! How about another round?"
- "You've got a nice spring in your step! Maybe I should rethink my stance on shoes..."
- "You certainly are... big. But you can't defeat me with just power alone."
- "You’re definitely faster than me, but you leave yourself far too open."
- "If you seek to cause injury to others, in the end you will only hurt yourself. Remember that."
- "This time victory's mine! How's your family doing by the way?"
- "My will shall never bend to the forces of evil! Never!"
- "A whip isn't a bad weapon to use in a fight, but the more you wave it around, the easier it is to hit you."
- "Winning isn't everything. It's all about what you take away from the fight."
- "The first step to becoming a true martial artist is knowing your own strengths and weaknesses."
- "This is just the beginning of a long rivalry, Sagat! We can help to make each other stronger!"
- "You're going to catch up to me in no time. But I won't make it easy for you!"
- "Your arrogance cost you this time. All your moves were very predictable."
- "That was a great fight! It looks like you've finally come up with a way around my Hadoken!"
- "I'm not really sure what you are...but thanks for the fight!"
- "I’m sure you’re going to get stronger and stronger! I look forward to fighting you again one day!"
- "We seek different things from the fight. I doubt we will cross paths again."
- "Focusing on my opponent lets me read their moves. Sorry if you thought I was staring. I wasn't. Really."
- "Your strength betrays your age! Is it because your spirit is so fierce?"
- "You need to work on your footwork a bit. Too much show and not enough substance."
- "I could sense something from you during our fight... As if you had a soul hidden somewhere inside..."
- "The driving power behind your fists should not be power, but your conviction!"
- "I would never give up, no matter how tough things were. What will you do?"
- "I'm always happy to cross fists with a fighter who is dedicated to their beliefs."
- "Wrestlers sure do pack a punch. That was a tough match."
- "Great! I haven’t had bear stew in a while…"
- "You have very strong beliefs. Your fists told me as much."
- "You run a Chinese restaurant? I’ll stop by next time! Hope it’s all you can eat!"
- "What an interesting fighting style. I am glad to have crossed paths with you!"
- "You came up with your own fighting style? That’s really impressive!"
- "Your strength was just as I expected. Your punches were heavy, but nothing I couldn’t handle."
- "I fight for self-enlightenment. There's no need to take a life for that."
- "Your punches have no power behind them! A fist with no conviction will never reach me!"
- "Your goal is to be the best in the universe? I’m looking forward to seeing your progress next time!"
- "All I had to do was settle down and ignore your illusions. After that, it was pretty easy to read you!"
- "You're still a bit rough, but you have great potential! Thanks for the nice fight!"
- "Stay true to your feelings and you'll find true strength!"
- "This is the cursed sword I've heard so much about. There's definitely something sinister about it."
- "You won't beat me relying on just your abilities and weapons. Work on your technique!"
- "Did I just fight a cat?"
- "You sure do have some interesting weapons. How did you get them?"
- "What an odd fellow... The world sure is an interesting place."
Ryu: "Now where could this be?"
Ryu: "Well, it wouldn't be the first time I've been sent off to some strange land."
Asura: "Who the hell are you?"
Ryu: "I'm Ryu. Who's asking?"
Asura: "... Asura."
Ryu: "Asura, is it? How about it? Care for a match?"
Ryu: "You look like a worthy opponent."
Asura: "You have no idea. The question is, are you?"
Ryu: "Well... There's only one way to find out."
Asura: "Bring it!"
Ryu: "... You're pretty good."
Asura: "You're not so bad yourself."
Ryu: "That wasn't the true me. Let's have another go."
Asura: "You'll just end up losing."
???: "What do we have here? Your skills show promise."
(Akuma appears in a red flash of light)
Asura: "Who's there!?"
Akuma: "I am Akuma, and my fists know no equal!"
- "Talk is cheap."
- "Come on!"
- "Give it your all."
- "Your range is one fist short."
- "The journey... has just begun."
- "This is the path of destiny!"
Versus Mode (character-specific)Edit
- "Huh, you want food? Well, I've got some Natto."
- "Hmm. Transforming speed into power. That way of fighting suits you well."
- "You've been working on your combos, I see. Nice moves!"
- "Your yoga techniques have become even more polished!"
- "You strike without hesitation. That is your strength."
- "This isn’t finished yet. Right, Ken?"
- "The path of vengeance may not lead to the answers you seek."
- "I felt absolutely nothing from your fists. This has never happened before..."
- "You're a real breath of fresh air. I feel invigorated!"
- "Fighting wrestlers is about range. You win or lose on one step alone."
- "I am no longer plagued by doubt. Confidence will lead me forward."
- "Do you really think true beauty could come from hurting others?"
- "I've honed a single attack the same way you've honed your body."