Expanded his bio and added the facts from Street Fighter IV. It is heavily indicated that he is the winner of the World Tournament in SF IV.
regarding zangief being based on Victor Zangiev Edit
victor from darkstalkers and zangief from street fighter are both known for their massive frame and their great strength, so i thought: put their names together and you get victor zangief :P
maybe the developers lacked imagination when they had to give victor his name and thought: well let's just give him the first name of the wrestler which we based that other big guy(zangief) on.
victor from darkstalkers is german and compared to most of the other characters from darkstalkers, doesn't really have a name that fits the country the character is from(without counting his last name). therefore it could be very likely that my above theory is true, which brings me to zangief being based on victor zangiev.184.108.40.206 10:16, August 12, 2010 (UTC)
ehh i just realized victor got his name from frankenstein's first name. i forgot frankenstein's first name was victor. i didn't do my research, nevermind...220.127.116.11 18:03, February 12, 2011 (UTC)
LOL, OK. :P --Evilsbane 20:25, February 12, 2011 (UTC)
How about Victor Sagat?User_talk:Ericard 01:30, February 13, 2011 (UTC)
Is Zangief gay? Edit
I red on some websites, that zangief is confirmed to be gay. Is this true? I mean, he doesn´t look like he´s gay. Please comment. 18.104.22.168 20:57, April 10, 2011 (UTC)
no he is not gay, you can't read everything you read on the interwebz. Never bring this up again please
He MIGHT be gay. Capcom's never said anything on the subject either way. But they DID add to his official bio that he dislikes beautiful women, so take from that what you will.--Evilsbane 07:28, April 11, 2011 (UTC)
in the trivia section it sould be added that zangief is also a rival of vega duo to vegas photo appearing in his ending in ssft2 http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-lKiQNdfEZo/TOar_G1RZuI/AAAAAAAABE8/HYDCI6FU7Mo/s1600/zangief-ssf2t-end.gif
Doesn't look gay? Are you implying that there is a specifically gay look that a character must have before you would believe that they were gay? wohdin yes the whole earth 22:48, July 16, 2012 (UTC)
Capcom will never make Zangief gay if they do not want to ruin their sales in Russia. Russia is extremly homophobic country. I know what I talk about. - 22.214.171.124 13:52, July 2, 2013 (UTC) (i1west)
About the "dislikes beautiful women" trivia, I have a different theory about that. Maybe he just dislikes beautiful, self absorbed women. Maybe he prefers strong (not necessarily physically strong, but strong in character), not as pretty women, who have good morals and would be caring mothers. Perhaps Zangief is a family man as well lol. General Awesomo (talk) 14:49, July 2, 2013 (UTC)
From what I heard he dislikes beautiful women because he finds them to be a distraction, or something like that, whatever that means is up to you guys.126.96.36.199 15:52, July 2, 2013 (UTC)
Let's also remember where Zangief is from: Siberia. Have you seen this place? It's an extremely harsh, inhospitible shithole to live in. Political criminals fear being sent to this place for a REASON. Pretty, delicate things cannot thrive out here. Seeing as how he's shown to be a rugged man who has seen immense physical hardship, it's probable that he values strength and hardiness in adverse conditions in a woman over physical looks. Zangief seems to hold R Mika in high esteem, over her prowess as a wrestler, not because of her looks
If he was really meant to be gay, Capcom would simply have said just "Dislikes: Women" and left it at that. I wouldnt be suprised if those who adamantly insist on Zangief being gay are actually gay themselves, and deliberately interperet Zangief as gay because they want a hero for themselves. People tend to see what they want, and it isnt always the way things really are. Doug Exeter (talk) 18:16, July 2, 2013 (UTC)
Why are we even having this argument in the first place? Capcom never directly said anything about his sexual preferences whatsoever. Heck, Capcom probably prefers to focus on the fact that he's an awesome Russian wrestler, no on his sexual orientation. Besides, who cares about his sexuality in the first place! He'll still be the Russian patriot wrestler we know and love no matter what way he swings.188.8.131.52 16:33, July 24, 2014 (UTC)
- First of all, remember to sign your posts with four tildes (~~~~).
- And second of all, honestly, it matters. I still maintain that he may just "dislike beautiful women" (read my post a little ways up). But the point is that these characters matter and help shape the reality that we perceive.
- Look at Poison. Apart from being involved as a crook in the Mad Gear Gang, she is shown in a positive, beautiful light. That transgendered people can be strong-willed and sexually attractive as well as the rest of us.
- Not to say that these characters should become role models, but they become icons in history.
- General Awesomo (talk) 07:31, July 24, 2014 (UTC)
- You've said very valid points, General Awesomo. these characters do become icons in video game history. I was wrong to say that these character's private lives don't matter, and I'm sorry for that. I also apologize if I sounded like a jerk. I did not mean to sound that way at all. I just wanted to point out that Zangief, Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Cammy, Poison, Cody, Guy, Rufus, Crimson Viper, T-Hawk, Sakura, Rose, Q, Guile, Dee Jay, Elena, M. Bison, Juri, Balrog, Eagle, Hugo, Dan, Sagat, Rolento, R. Mika, Ibuki, Blanka, Abel, and the rest of the Street Fighter character pool (The reason for the long list of SF roster examples is because I wanted to show that Street Fighter has one of Capcom's hugest character pools.) will always be awesome and iconic in their own right regardless of their sexualities. However, I now understand why this topic is still being talked about.
- I admit, I like the Poison character too. I hope that in the next Street Fighter installment, Poison returns, and for this to be her ending in that hypothetical installment:
- After her victory in this tournament, Poison decides to quits the Mad Gear Gang, and convinces her employee Hugo and the formerly corrupt police officer Edi. E to quit the gang too. After the trio resigned from the Mad Gears for good, Poison revealed that she still wants to stay in Metro City. She also tells Hugo and Edi. E that she has plans to start a private bodyguard business (In Poison's case for this hypothetical ending, Her planned idea is sort of like Marvel Comic's Heroes for Hire meets DC's The Outsiders), and she wants to put those plans to good use.
- Hugo: Wait, don't we need, like government permission to do this thing?
- Poison: Look Hugo, did you not here me say that this is going to be a private business? A PRIVATE BUSINESS!!!
- Poison: Mountain Man, would you kindly just come a little closer, please?
- Hugo: (now his right ear is a little closer to Poison's face, and Hugo has a slightly worried expression on his face.) You weren't planning to hit me, were you Boss? Please don't hit me!
- Poison: (sighs) No, I just wanted you hear me better, you tall drink of water.
- Poison: (glares at Edi. E) Anyways, I trust that Officer Friendly over there (points at Officer E) has hopefully grown more confident nowadays, right?
- Edi. E: You can trust me, Boss. I'm a cop, after all.
- Poison: (whispers to herself) Judging from your reputation, that's really reassuring.......184.108.40.206 16:34, July 24, 2014 (UTC)
How is Zangief a villain? In the Street Fighter Movie, he may've been serving M. Bison, but he thought that Bison was a good Guy, and the others were the bad guys. So how is he a villain? William J. Hawkins 16:40, May 17, 2012 (UTC)
If Zangief's birthplace is the Soviet Union, the tricolor flag of the Russian Federation needs to be changed to the USSR's hammer and sickle flag (as was used in the early versions of the SF series) in his bio box.
The same could technically be said for Fei Long as he was presumably born when Hong Kong was under British occupation; so, their version of the flag should be used rather than the current Chinese Administrative Region flag. 220.127.116.11 05:40, August 6, 2012 (UTC)
Music preferences. Edit
I do not know if it worth to notice, but Zangief says to Deejay that Tchaikovsky is the "real music". This probably suggests that he likes russian classical music. - 18.104.22.168 15:11, July 5, 2013 (UTC) (i1west)