You know the drill.
- I'm an admin, so if you have concerns or questions, message me or any other admins.
- Keep it below the line, for the sake of keeping messages together. New messages at the bottom.
- Sign, sign, sign your posts. Always end your message with four tildes, or some other form of identifier.
- I post replies here, so keep tabs on this page if you're expecting a response from me.
- View my old talk page messages if you're really interested in that sort of thing.
Re: Somewhat pressing matters... Edit
Well, for the characters, some of them have been around for 25 years and some for only 2-5, so the information available is going to differ. Ryu and Ken will have story retcons aplenty, and an evolution in their moveset, whereas C. Viper is going to have less of that, and Rufus none at all. Additionally, some characters are kind of standalone in their story (does Q have anything to do with anyone? No) whereas others will be very interconnected (Chun-Li has made friends and enemies of most of the cast through various interactions). And then there's the fact that as a wiki, people will be more inclined to contribute to pages of their favorite characters, in the area they're interested in. So it's unsurprising that the articles are a bit varied.
The Manual of Style seems to be good... I can't think of anything off-hand to add to it.
I've made runs through images in the past, but I dunno how much time I have for it at the moment.
Articles on staff are a great idea, so long as they don't become opinion pieces, and so long as the articles sticks to points of actual notability. Talking about Ono being a notorious troll would be bad.
- Well, the entire discussion itself technically contributes to developing the manual of Style, just to be clear. I was simply wondering if you had any ideas of your own.
- Also, I'm not talking in terms of information, I'm well aware of that disparity; I'm referring specifically to how it's arranged, not to mention the "ripping from Wikipedia" thing I've noticed. The real question I'm asking is this: which character's article do you think is the highest quality?
- As for staff articles, I'll also note that in the Manual of Style, though I would've loved to include Ono's poking beehives. ;[ In all seriousness, though, I'll be sure to enforce a standard of objective writing (though some vandal types will inevitably skip that memo. Thanks so much! Lord Grammaticus (talk) 16:06, January 6, 2014 (UTC)
About character article standards, nothing really comes to mind. As long as we agree on a universal arrangement for every character, I'm fine with that.
The Manual of Style... I'd like it if you would include my notes from the Community Messages (and it was in your previous talk page). It went like this:
- A few rules to keep things tidy here:
- Please do not use foreign codes. Only use the bold, italic, internal link and other codes found here.
- When linking to a series article, please write it out like this:
- Street Fighter series.
- When linking to a character's article while using a possesive, please write it out like this:
When dealing with katakana, put spaces in between words. For example:
Rolling Attack (ローリング アタック, Rooringu Attaku).
Even though I'm not that comfortable with uploading images (if I was, I would upload an animated GIF for Tenma Shurettou, Urien's taunt, etc.) ...I can definitely help with marking and deleting unneeded images.
I'm fine with articles on staff. It does sound like a great idea, though that will take a lot of time.
- I'll add all that shortly, thanks!
- As for marking images, how soon do you think you can start on that? Making space and uploading new images are the same in terms of priority for me right now, so just mark the ones you're 100% sure we don't need when you get around to it; if you're not sure, I'll see if I can't devise a workaround.
- Per staff articles, I'm willing to take that time, though I'll have to do it article b article just to be safe. Thanks, man. Lord Grammaticus (talk) 22:19, January 6, 2014 (UTC)
Scratch that. I've learned that the Japanese language actually doesn't use spaces in between words. At most, they might use an interpunct to seperate words. But that's optional, so we should just write them the way they're presented in games, manuals, etc. I'll revert those changes to the pages that I've added spaces to the katakana. Done. General Awesomo (talk) 20:42, January 23, 2014 (UTC)
- Understood, updating manual. Lord Grammaticus (talk) 20:42, January 23, 2014 (UTC)
Yeah, sorry about that one. The edit looked weird because it was just abbreviated as "WWE". I thought it was a joke edit because I thought it meant "World Wrestling Entertainment" LOL. General Awesomo (talk) 18:36, January 19, 2014 (UTC)
Eh, sometimes when I use rollback it doesn't work as intended. But I'll keep those two options in mind, thanks. Btw, why do you start brand new sections with "Re: "? General Awesomo (talk) 18:38, January 19, 2014 (UTC)
- See, I thought it was from emailing. But "Re:" usually only pops up automatically in the subject when you're replying back. General Awesomo (talk) 20:53, January 20, 2014 (UTC)
Dan is NOT a comic relief character. Maybe he used to be, but he isn't anymore. He is a solid fighter. It dosen't matter if he is weak. Weak does not make him comic relief.
- Alright, cool it with the fanboying.
- While Dan is indeed more "serious" and in recent incarnation, his characteristics indicate that he is still intended to be a comic relief character by design, status as a more playable and solid fighter notwithstanding.
- There is absolutely nothing concrete OR outside of pure assumption to indicate he did it on purpose, plus his screaming kinda fouls that theory.
- Yes, he's a human being. He's also a fictional character in a video game series, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.
Lord Grammaticus (talk) 21:31, January 20, 2014 (UTC)
Fanboying? Dude, you can cool it with the arrogant cockiness cheers very much.
Because he is goofy that makes him comic relief? What is it with you and this comic relief thing? Does that make Rufas comic relief to?
Yeah. And there is nothing but outside of pure assumption to indicate that Makoto punches people's balls. But people choose to beileve that's what she intended to do.
Again with the cool guy attitude. What i'm SAYING is Dan can do whatever he wants to do. Because he is "comic relief" doesn't mean he can't do serious stuff.
- This would be a good time to read up on Dan's design, origins, and the roles he usually plays in the games. It's pretty clear what the developers meant him to be. Plus, you're the only one assuming that comic relief characters are completely incapable of being serious at all ever. It's bad form to try and put words in my mouth based off a few edits of an article.
- And yea, Rufus can be considered comic relief; again, look at his design, particularly his penchant for mistaking people for Ken who look nothing like him. It's not hard to guess how that was intended to be taken. Lord Grammaticus (talk) 22:25, January 20, 2014 (UTC)
- Okay. Sure.
- You can remove my idiotic fanboying from this page if it makes you feel any better.
- Look man. I just don't like being partronized. But we're done now. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Heatlineheard (talk • contribs)
Right, then. I'm sorry if I did come across as patronizing. But what's important is that the issue's resolved. Lord Grammaticus (talk) 09:18, January 21, 2014 (UTC)
Re: Re: Shin Akuma Edit
I'm a little against that movement. If that were the case, where would you draw the line in which form gets to be included in Akuma's page? I would keep just the canon things in Akuma's page, and keep Cosmic Akuma in Shin Akuma's page.
Alternatively, we could rename Shin Akuma to something that would connect all the different forms of Akuma... like "Akuma Forms." That might make it a bit more fair to the more wayward (straying away from the canon Shin Akuma from the main series) forms like Cyber Akuma and Cosmic Akuma. And it may be easier for readers to go along with all this.
- Makes sense. To be fair, the Cosmic Akuma section has just as much a place in the article as the rest of the "canon" stuff (I say that in scare quotes because I don't think we have to call stuff non-canon necessarily to distinguish it from the main series).
- In any event, I'll just port the information to the Akuma page and keep its place on Shin Akuma's. In the event it is copied word for word from somewhere, I'll also reword it as needed. Lord Grammaticus (talk) 00:01, February 5, 2014 (UTC)
Redirects, Armor Break and an Idea for a Split Template. Edit
Hey man, I have a little question. Why do you prefer redirects over directly linking to a certain subject? An example would be having it say [[Armor Break]] and link it to Super Armor instead of [[Super Armor#Armor Break|Armor Break]] and have it link directly to Armor Break? With just a few more coding, the second method takes you exactly where you need to go. Maybe Armor Break was a bad example since the Super Armor page isn't that big to begin with, but it is the most recurring example.
Speaking of Armor Break, should we create a page for it? Or maybe just a category will suffice? With Ultra Street Fighter IV and its Red Focus Attack coming around the corner, I think we should make it a point to let readers know which moves are Armor Breakers.
Also, I have an idea for the split template you mentioned in an edit summary. I think it would be cool if we have an animated Misogi sprite to indicate the split. Just a little funny thought I had.General Awesomo (talk) 03:27, February 11, 2014 (UTC)
- Well, in the case of Armor Break, it's a direct link to the same thing, but with less of a need for specifics. (in short why link directly to a specific article section when redirects do that for you?)
- I'm not quite savvy in regards to how Red Focus will work EXACTLY, but I do think it may be time for Armor Break to get its own page soon, if not now. As for the category, that's a definite go ahead, all things considered.
- And a Misogi isn't the visual that'd drive the template's purpose home, though it is an amusing thought like you said. Lord G. matters. Talk to me. 04:47, February 11, 2014 (UTC)
Re: Re: Armor Break Edit
- Sounds like a good idea. Alternatively, maybe an animated Gadoken sprite or a still of Sagat's SSFIIT ending where he's doing a finger push-up. Here: http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/arcade/b/ssf2tsag.htm
- Kazegiri in Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition and Street Fighter X Tekken, Kazekiri in Super Street Fighter IV. General Awesomo (talk) 01:39, February 12, 2014 (UTC)
I'd say me, but that's horn-tooting in my opinion, even though I'd love to adopt this wiki considering what I've contributed...
Re: Adoption and foundership Edit
Hmm, I don't know much about adopting wikis, though there is a first for everything. However, I think you are the most qualified. I'll gladly be the Urien to your Gill, lol. General Awesomo (talk) 05:14, February 13, 2014 (UTC)
- Yeah, that isn't remotely foreboding at all. :B I'll go through with it, then. Lord G. matters. Talk to me. 05:34, February 13, 2014 (UTC)
About attacks that "break the armor"Edit
Howdy, Grammaticus! How've been ya? Glad to see you help me refine the proper grammar in my editions, but there's a small bother that must be explained right now: everytime I see about a move that has the armor breaking property, I put the correct armor break link, as you can see right here, simply in order to spare the "wiki engine" from the obligation of doing unnecessary or redundant redirects. It's just the way I know to make your SF Wiki even better, even if it's just a small-time change. If there's any issue about this, contact me and let's discuss it fairly! The Vile (talk) 02:52, February 16, 2014 (UTC)
His unnecessary edits Edit
Unofficial art Edit
Please be aware that unofficial art/fanart/etc. is not allowed on the mainspace. And that is and unofficial artwork is something I commissioned on Deviantart over 2 years ago and I don't want it on the site.
^@AWC72: Always remember to sign your posts.--18.104.22.168 05:17, February 18, 2014 (UTC)
Why is Hitenryu Fei Long's fighting style? Official Capcom site says it is Kung Fu (カンフー)
Character and sprites galleries Edit
I hope its alright, I did it because I believe the playable SF characters articles (mainly the ones that have maybe one too many images) would benefit from this since the images and especially the ones with 2D sprites takes a lot of data from the articles. My suggestion is this, making more character images galleries and sprite galleries. :) --22.214.171.124 17:48, February 26, 2014 (UTC)
Alright then. I was thinking concerning the characters with a lot of images in their gallery section, we could add that...well, I'm not sure what it is called again but is that thing you just added for Cammy and Ken, in which you can scroll down and up. I always found that one looking good and I noticed some few other characters (Adon and Alex to name a few) having this for their gallery section.--126.96.36.199 05:26, February 27, 2014 (UTC)
Hello there, admin.
I have red your message. I am sorry about my highlighted picture!
Is there another way to add pictures with cameos and mark them, but allowed way?
Thanks for the help in the Alternate color page!
Main Page spiff Edit
Hi, Lord Grammaticus!
I was cruising and along and bumped into the site :) I was wondering if you might be interested in a spiff of the main page at all? I'd essentially be keeping what's there as much as possible but tweaking things like the slider to be up to date, shrinking the current events section, and doing things like potentially adding a pic gallery and videos. I also noticed the site doesn't have a background - I'd be happy to work on one if you'd like.
Let me know if you're interested!
It looks like you've discussed the proposition with Evilsbane and no other bureaucrats have been on for ages. Only you and General Awesomo are the active admins, and it looks like he wouldn't have any issue with it. Though it's incredibly rare, let me see if I can speed the process for you. Raylan13 (talk) 23:28, March 5, 2014 (UTC)
- After discussion with the team responsible for these things and after reviewing the convos you've had with those mentioned above, you have been promoted to bureaucrat ;) We pulled a little Hadoken move for you. Raylan13 (talk) 23:39, March 5, 2014 (UTC)
So it is okay? Edit
The Joudan Sotogeri from the "unknown game" pic. Allowed? Have you seen the site?